Research and projects
Clear thinking, a critical approach and concise presentation that gets to the heart of complex issues
With expertise and access to networks spanning a range of areas including food, finance and sustainable business our academic and commercial experience enable us to balance theoretical rigour with practical application.
We welcome approaches from like-minded organisations who are interested in collaborating on research or other projects. We can also provide project coordination as part of these activities.
Services we offer:
- Food systems research
- Literature review and desk based research
- Policy analysis
- Primary research and fact-finding, for example on a specific location or business sector
- Mapping projects using our Purple mapping tool
- Development of analytical tools and matrices
- â€˜Three Thinkingâ€™ supplier evaluation
- Project management
Examples of recent work:
- â€˜Prime cuts: valuing the meat we eatâ€™, WWF-UK and Food Ethics Council report, co-authored by Chris Sutton
- â€˜Food Prices â€“ The Ethics of Financial Speculationâ€™, Research paper by Chris Sutton for the Food Ethics Council
- National smallholder mapping exercise in conjunction with the Ecological Land Co-operative
If you have a research assignment or other project youâ€™d like to discuss please contact us.
- Purple mapping
- Add a business
- Standards And Guides
- Can I add a business to the map?
- Do ethical standards labels approve brands or products?
- Does BUAV approved differ from a product claim of â€˜not tested on animalsâ€™?
- Have the ethical credentials of businesses on the map been verified?
- How are a businessâ€™s ethics demonstrated in its mapping entry?
- How are organic products certified, labelled and categorised in the directory?
- How are vegetarian and vegan options more environmentally sustainable?
- How do â€˜Ethics keywordsâ€™ and â€˜Ethical standards labelsâ€™ differ?
- What are BAFTS and WFTO members?
- What are the ethical considerations when buying jewellery?
- What do the terms organic, biodynamic and permaculture mean?
- What does paraben-free mean?
- What is a three-thinking business?
- What is the difference between Fairtrade and fairly-traded?
- Community networks
- Content partners