We can build a better economy through the connections we create
We live in interesting times. There are new ideas about how we can both make and spend money while also taking care of our community and our environment. At Purple Dot we call this a three-thinking economy â€“ an economy that values people and planet, as well as profit.
We believe that to achieve a truly three-thinking economy we need to look beyond adapting the current economic model so it creates less harm. A three-thinking economy is not simply about businesses reporting against social and environmental indicators. Itâ€™s about putting these values right at the core of their strategy and aims.
Creating a new economy
So we propose we should think in terms of creating a new type of economy. Re-thinking the purpose of commerce and how we choose who we do business with, so that the connections we form add up to create the economy we want.
And we believe we can all act to help make a three-thinking economy a reality. Indeed there are already plenty of three-thinkers around â€“ businesses, organisations and people all putting environmental and social values at the heart of their decision-making and way of life.
Purple Dot exists to help inspire and support collaboration between everyone that wants to build a three-thinking economy. Working together we can get there faster.
What is a three-thinking economy and why is it important?
What is a three-thinking business and how do you become one?
The importance of smaller businesses - the building blocks of a three-thinking economy
We are the economy â€“ how we can all help build a three-thinking economy
Â Â You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.
â€• Richard Buckminster Fuller
- Purple mapping
- Add a business
- Standards And Guides
- Can I add a business to the map?
- Do ethical standards labels approve brands or products?
- Does BUAV approved differ from a product claim of â€˜not tested on animalsâ€™?
- Have the ethical credentials of businesses on the map been verified?
- How are a businessâ€™s ethics demonstrated in its mapping entry?
- How are vegetarian and vegan options more environmentally sustainable?
- How do â€˜Ethics keywordsâ€™ and â€˜Ethical standards labelsâ€™ differ?
- What are BAFTS and WFTO members?
- What are the ethical considerations when buying jewellery?
- What do the terms organic, biodynamic and permaculture mean?
- What does paraben-free mean?
- What is a three-thinking business?
- What is the difference between Fairtrade and fairly-traded?
- Community networks
- Content partners
You are here
Enjoy the benefits of collaborating with other three-thinking businesses in your area.
The phrase people, planet, profit was first coined, alongside the triple bottom line concept, by John Elkington. Whereas triple bottom line is normally used in relation to corporates Purple Dotâ€™s main focus is on how smaller businesses and entrepreneurs can help build a better economy.