A three-thinking business
What is a three-thinking business and how do you become one?
A three-thinking business isnâ€™t just one that makes green products or tackles social issues. A three-thinking business is any business that makes social and environmental values an integral part of its business decisions. That might mean making sure the products you use are ethically sourced and environmentally sustainable, working to reduce your carbon footprint, selecting a bank that doesnâ€™t lend to unethical businesses, or choosing to trade with other businesses who share your values.
We need three-thinking businesses across all sectors. That means three-thinking designers, decorators, hairdressers, accountants, lawyers â€“ anyone that provides a service or product. The more three-thinking businesses there are, the more choice we have. So when we make a purchase we can choose to buy from a business thatâ€™s helping to grow the economy we want.
But embedding and celebrating your businessâ€™ three-thinking credentials shouldn't just be about gaining a competitive advantage over other businesses. A three-thinking business exists to serve their community and add value to the world, not just make money. And helping other businesses to learn from your experiences and become three-thinking too can add even more value.
Competition can drive progress but we believe that collaboration is key to passing on the skills, technology and know-how that will let us move as quickly as possible to the new type of economy we need. With support from your peers, you can adapt your business for the future and help build an economy thatâ€™s better for everyone.
How we can help
We recognise that working in a three-thinking way isnâ€™t always easy but at Purple Dot we aim to make it easier.
Promote your business and its values through our online directory. Itâ€™s easy to join and to use â€“ and best of all, it's completely free.
Find support to build your three-thinking business and collaborate with others to create a fairer more sustainable economy.â€¨
Strengthen your business across all three values with our financial, social impact and environmental management services.
- Purple mapping
- Add a business
- Standards And Guides
- Can I add a business to the map?
- Do ethical standards labels approve brands or products?
- Does BUAV approved differ from a product claim of â€˜not tested on animalsâ€™?
- Have the ethical credentials of businesses on the map been verified?
- How are a businessâ€™s ethics demonstrated in its mapping entry?
- How are organic products certified, labelled and categorised in the directory?
- How are vegetarian and vegan options more environmentally sustainable?
- How do â€˜Ethics keywordsâ€™ and â€˜Ethical standards labelsâ€™ differ?
- What are BAFTS and WFTO members?
- What are the ethical considerations when buying jewellery?
- What do the terms organic, biodynamic and permaculture mean?
- What does paraben-free mean?
- What is a three-thinking business?
- What is the difference between Fairtrade and fairly-traded?
- Community networks
- Content partners